The International Ice Charting Working Group (IICWG) and the JCOMM Expert Team on Sea Ice (ETSI) are organizing the 4th Ice Analyst Workshop (IAW-4) which will be held in Helsinki, Finland 9th -13th June 2014. The workshop is hosted by Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI). As a part of the IAW-4, an Antarctic workshop will be held on 12th -13th of June. The Antarctic workshop is organized by Russian Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI), and it will also be held at FMI in Helsinki.
Main themes of the IAW-4 on 9th -11th of June:
- Sea Ice analysis during the melt-up and break-up season
- Ice deformation identification using satellite imagery
- Iceberg analysis
- Use of sea ice symbology
- Testing of SIGRID-3 rev. 3, “Ice object catalogue” ver. 5.2 and IHO S-411
Antarctic workshop on 12th -13th of June:
- Develop standard operating practice to jointly produce Antarctic ice analysis.
- Review regulations for preparation and information exchange for ice in GMDSS bulletins for the Southern Ocean (high seas and coastal waters)
- Produce ice edge for a GMDSS SafetyNET bulletin and document methods to disseminate information to area coordinators for use.
Particular attention will be for using multi-source satellite imagery (SAR / MODIS / NPP SUOMI imagery) and using open source GIS software. For Antarctic special attention will be paid for developing and testing common Antarctic coast and land masks and common operative sets of satellite imagery and regulations for their exchange and testing specifications for cooperative ice charting product. The goal will be to develop a process and schedule to collaboratively produce a weekly Antarctic Sea Ice Analysis.
For registration and workshop logistics information, please send email to email@example.com. Deadline for Registration: 25 May 2014. If you want to have additional information from the organizing committee, please contact Antti Kangas, firstname.lastname@example.org and Vasily Smolyanitsky, email@example.com. For Antarctic workshop please contact Oleg Folomeev, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check for the workshop documentation at http://www.jcomm.info/IAW4 and http://gmdss.aari.ru/docs/iaw4/.